Using the ingredients mentioned in the original recipe, follow these instructions to roll out pasta dough without a pasta machine:
ROLLING DOUGH WITH A ROLLING PIN
– Divide your dough in fist-sized pieces and place one piece in the center of your work surface. It’s easier to roll a small amount at a time. Keep the rest of the dough wrapped to prevent it from drying out.
– Shape the dough into a ball and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Hand press your ball into a disk, dusting with flour on both sides.
-With a long and heavy rolling pin, roll out the ball into a circle by stretching as well as pressing down. Stretch the dough from the middle out, by pushing the pin from the center of the dough away from you. While stretching your disk, turn it a quarter or half turn each time.
– Repeat this a few times and flip your sheet over to prevent it from sticking to the board.
– Make sure to dust your pasta sheet with flour on both sides while stretching it: sprinkle flour on the sheet and spread it evenly with your hand. Dust your pin with flour if necessary.
– Keep rolling and stretching until the pasta sheet is the appropriate thickness.
– Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
THICKNESS OF PASTA
Scialatielli: 3-4 mm
Fettuccine, Maltagliati, Lasagna: 2 mm