Using the ingredients mentioned in the original recipe, follow these instructions to make a pasta dough with food processor or stand mixer:
USING A FOOD PROCESSOR
– Add the liquids in the recipe (milk, water, or eggs) to the food processor bowl. Pulse to mix.
– Add the flour, and other dry ingredients in the recipe and mix with the liquid ingredients, until you get a crumbly mixture. Run your food processor for 5-6 minutes.
– Remove the crumbly dough from the food processor, shaking all the flour and bits of dough from the bowl.
– Form a ball with your hands. Place it on a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for about 8-10 mins with your hands until you get a smooth and velvety ball.
USING A STAND MIXER
– Add the liquids in the recipe (milk, water, or eggs) to the stand mixer bowl and mix with a fork.
– Add the flour and other dry ingredients in the recipe to combine with the eggs.
– Using a dough hook, knead the dough on low speed for about 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. You may need to use a spatula or your hands to help bring the dough together before kneading by hand to finish off the dough.
– Knead for about 8-10 minutes, the time depends on the dough texture.
The kneading technique is this: place the dough ball in the center of your working surface. Drag and press the dough forward on the board with your palm, fold the stretched dough back on itself, rotate it 90° and start again: drag and press, fold, rotate.
Knead the dough with energy, applying a good pressure on the dough; this helps the gluten bind to create a smooth and elastic texture. It may be quite crumbly at first. Trust it. Your dough will come together!
It takes about 15-20 minutes to get a smooth and elastic dough. The pasta dough will be pretty tough and it needs some elbow grease. You’ll have to judge when it’s done by the texture: smooth and velvety on the surface.
*Please refer to the original recipe for additional ingredients and any notes about the dough texture.